Creating the weekly shopping list is quite a fun activity for me. I really enjoy thinking of new things to have for dinner and lunch and search different recipes. It can be quite the task when you’re planning meals for yourself a vegan and a boyfriend who does eat meat. Also, we are trying to be more mindful with how much and what we are eating and how much we are spending. So I thought I would share my tips and tricks on how I plan the shop and then show you what we got this week.
Tips and Tricks
- PLAN! Do not just wing it and turn up at the shops and put everything you like the look of in the trolley. You will end up spending way more then you need to and will probably waste lots of food because you don’t know what to do with it. Plan what meals you are having that week and make a list of any ingredients you need.
- Price it up before hand. This isn’t for everyone but I tend to go online and find the item I want for the cheapest price or the one I want and add up the total. This way I know how much I will spend and don’t get roped into the deals that actually get you spending more money.
- Choose only what you need. To avoid food waste and excessive shop bills only choose exactly what you need. For example, if you’re using sweet potato in two dishes and you know you only need 4 sweet potatoes then only buy 4 otherwise you will end up wasting them.
- Add to your staples. So this weekly shop might look small to some people but there are lots of things we already have in, which last a long time and these things just add to them to create meals. This means we don’t have to spend a ridiculous amount of money every week.
Our Food Plan
|Monday||Lemon + Courgette Linguine||K-leftover chilli|
|Tuesday||“Chicken” Goujons and Sweet Potato Fries and Beans||K-leftover chilli|
|Wednesday||Cauliflower and Mushroom Bolognese||K-leftover chilli|
|Thursday||Slow Cooker Chilli and Tortilla Chips||K-Chickpea Salad|
|Friday||Takeaway Treat||K-Chickpea Salad|
|Saturday||“Fish” and Crispy Sweet Potato||K+R-Leftovers|
|Sunday||Sausage and Veg Tray Bake|
- Vegan Chicken Goujons (Plant Pioneers) £2.50
- Chestnut Mushrooms £1
- Cauliflower Head 1 79p
- Red Onion 3 85p
- Garlic Bulb 1 25p
- Lemon 2 60p
- Black Beans 1 75p
- Kidney Beans 1 55p
- Black Eyed Beans 1 55p
- Chickpeas 1 45p
- Chopped Tomatoes 2 56p
- Sweet Potato 6 1.50
- Vegan Fish Fillet (Plant Pioneers) £2.50
- Baby Potatoes 90p
- Red Pepper 1 45p
- Vegan Sausage (Shroomdogs) £2.50
Total – £19.70
Obviously I will be getting Rob some Tuna for his lunches and some Chicken Thigh for his dinner on Tuesday but everything else he will have the same as me.
You must be logged in to post a comment.