I love Mac and Cheese!
I used to work at a supermarket and would always buy the mac and cheese ready meal for days when I would be too tired to cook once I’d get home. But since turning more plant-based I don’t buy that stuff (also they’re so bad for you).
So I have scoured the internet and practised a few I have found something that worked for me. Other recipes I would also recommend would HealthyChefStef and Niomi Smart’s recipes.
- 2 tbsp Vegan butter/margarine alternative (I like the Pure brand)
- 4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- 500ml (ish) Non – Dairy Milk (nut milk would be prefered but I only had Oat)
- Vegan Cheese (Violife)
Like most of the recipes I share, this one is simple. I hate to think some people don’t turn vegan or vegetarian because they think it will be difficult or expensive because it really doesn’t have to be.
How to cook it…
- Cook your pasta
- On super low heat, so you don’t burn it, melt the butter and then add the flour to make a paste
- Add the milk a little bit at a time and make sure the paste dissolves
- Add the seasoning (salt, pepper, turmeric) and grate the cheese into the mixture, until it is cheesy enough for your liking
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and then leave it to the side
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained add the sauce
- Put into an oven dish top with bread crumbs, thyme, and some extra cheese for luck!
- Pop into the oven for about 25 mins, check to make sure it doesn’t catch on the top
- And Enjoy!
This tasted so good and was just the comfort food I needed. I felt just like a child again.
You must be logged in to post a comment.